Saturday, March 01, 2014

Hansel & Gretel: Witch Hunters

Last week I watched the film: Hansel & Gretel: Witch Hunters. It was OK, but it didn't do a lot for me. It was a typical Hollywood film, with two of the main characters wearing leather and talking sassy to each other.  There is a great deconstruction of the trailer of the film from the guardian.

As Peter Bradshaw says in the Guardian
These are dark days. The Oscars are over, and now morale doesn't get any lower, as the very worst films are dumped ignominiously into cinemas like a vanload of cook-chill equine lasagnes delivered to schools and hospitals. This movie is a case in point. It's a film which is so demeaningly bad, so utterly without merit, that there is a kind of purity in its awfulness. There is a Zen mastery in producing a film which nullifies the concept of pleasure.
I agree with Kermode's review.

Interestingly enough Netflix have just sent me an email to say that the TV series Grimm is available. I was surprised, because it was a personal email, but then I did a web search a couple of weeks ago.