Sunday, September 07, 2008

Broken Angels

I have just finished reading "Broken Angels" by Richard Morgan. This was a science fiction novel centered around Takeshi Kovacs: the main character in Altered Carbon. I really enjoyed the book. If you are interested in the plot, there is stuff you can look at. Yeah it was brutal. I was beginning to get an annoyed about the number of times he told everyone that he was an "envoy". Envoys were some kind of super soldier, because they had been mentally trained. After while, he did begin to sound like an Oxbridge graduate, as he he let slip that he was an ex-Envoy to another bunch of new people. At least with Oxbridge graduates they all wear ties and scarves, so you can think about strangling them while they describe their ancient teduim of college life. Not because I am jealous, but as city dweller I pity those simple town folk. For reasons still not clear to me Hillhead library tempted me to check out a book by Primo Levi. That is perhaps more worthy, but less fun. There used to be an attampt to get people to put down "Jedi Knight" as religon on the census form. Now, thanks to the crap recent films, this is no longer cool. Anyway I am now a quellist!