Sunday, April 06, 2008

swinging

I have just read "the butcher, the baker, the candlestick maker" by Suzanne Portnoy. This is a book about "swinging". At 39, she finds she wants more sex, so leaves her loveless marriage, and start to sleep around in a very serious and dedicated way. This kind of book is advertised at "adult", but I didn't read it for arousal. A huge part of her life was dedicated to picking up men. She was raising a family and running a PR firm at the same time. I don't see how she had the time. Perhaps being the boss of a PR firm is pretty easy (a couple of hours a day). It was interesting to watch her rate men. I now know that giving someone a meal on a paper plate is a reason to break up. Also watching her thoughts as she went back to a man's flat, made me much more motivated to Hoover the carpet in the next (month or so). Also, she had a great comment about the advantage of dating geeky web guys: "they are so happy to be with anyone, that they are happy to please their partners". Good to know. Anyway I got more out of this book than "women are from Venus and men are from Mars". In that book I learnt that women like sharp knives