Sunday, January 20, 2008

Flashman

Before I went on holiday there were many obituaries for George Macdonald Fraser. I had never heard of the dude, but he was famous for writing the Flashman series of books. While I was in Borders in the center of Glasgow, I saw a single copy of Flashman so since fate willed it I layed out some silver and got some holiday reading. The book was set at the height of the British Empire. Flashman gets expelled from the Rugby public school and joins the army. He ends up fighting in Afghanistan. However, the main joke is that Flashman is a bully, coward, and a womanizer (the kind of person I have always wanted to be). So whenever there is any fighting he always tries to run away, but somehow things always end up with him being viewed as a hero, and all the real heros dead.