Thursday, June 17, 2010

football

I have been trying to read the English language version of Spiegel to get a German perspective on the news. I was amused by the article about England's draw with the USA at the football world cup. I particularly like their idea of what to paint on the football to help the English goal keepers.

In the article they mention that every German knows that the third goal in the game where England won the world cup was not a real goal. What? I am trying to repress this knowledge. What if I get asked the question, "so what did you learn in Germany," and I say "you know that third goal ...". I would be on the ground getting a good kicking in microsecond, and that is the best case that I am talking to a family member or friends. Best to forget about getting a German perspective.