Saturday, June 19, 2010

On sweat

I don't want to sound as tough I am complaining about the weather in Wupopertal. It has been warm, but there always is the threat of rain in the air. As a result I usually wear a coat, and this means I sweat a lot.

As the saying goes: "horses sweat, men perspire, and women only glow". In my case even the mildest activity causes a river to flow out of my pores. I was embarrassed last week when after walking to work, I went into the little cafe near my office. My T-shirt was drenched in sweat. I certainly thought of all the adverts I had seen on TV, where a man loses his girlfriend because he sweats, or a man looks cool, because he doesn't sweat after rushing around an airport.

I feel slightly resentful that I am not allowed to sweat in public. I don't go around hugging people, so what does it matter? When I see my sweat I think of all the toxins that are leaving my body. I could of course go to a sauna to sweat in private, but I hear such tales about such places, and I am more of a massage parlor kind of guy.

After watching many TV adverts I know that all I need to do is to use more deodorant. I have been experimenting with spraying my back as well. On Wednesday I huffed and puffed my way up the hill to the front door of my flat. There was a beautiful women at the door ringing a bell of one of the flats. She was wearing an elegant black dress, and looked as though she was going out for a stylish and expensive. I let her into the building. She got into the lift with me to go up the door of her friend. She wasn't visibly repulsed, by so the use of the additional deodorant is beginning to work its magic. How could I doubt the advertising.