Saturday, June 26, 2010

On questions

Although we tell the students that "no question is too stupid", that is not entirely true. Occasionally I have seen someone ask question that has taken my breath away, because it has shown the person has no idea what they are doing.

So sometimes, to my shame, I will not ask a basic question, because I worry what other people might think of me.

In today's German class we were told (again, because I had forgotten) family status:

verwitwet -- widowed
geschieden -- divorced
getrennt -- seperate
I almost put up my hand to ask, that for completeness we should know the word for bigamy. But I though this was one of those questions that would ruin my relationship with the teacher, because she would think I was being cheeky. But you just never know when a word will be needed.