Saturday, August 14, 2010

Me and My Shadow

While I worked in Liverpool I saw a flyer for a book set in Liverpool. The book was "Me and My Shadow" by Stephen Morris. In a misguide sense of loyalty to the Northwest of England, I added the book to my unread pile of knowledge.

The plot was based on some students taking over politics after being brain washed by an evil genius. There is sometimes a tension between students and "workers". This is sometimes known as "town versus gown". The author of the book clearly thinks that all the students do is get drunk and get depressed about failed relationships, because that is all that his characters do. Rather depressingly, no one got a bad hangover. Lucky young people.

At one point in the book, a student complains about people with Joke Degrees. A bit rich, I thought, given that none of the students in this novel, did any studying, or even talked about lectures, or worked part time jobs. In fact it looked as though the novel was set during freshers week.

The book is self published by authorhouse. Anyway I hope that Morris gets his money back.