Friday, September 17, 2010

A visit to a Market and then a little bit of art

After the Schönbrunn Palace I went to the Naschmarkt by the underground. According to wikipedia this is a big market, but it seemed very small to me. Perhaps I should have gone on Saturday morning. I had a spicy Chinese meal close to the market.

Then I went to the Kunsthistoriches Museum. This is an art museum. I wasn't really in the mood for looking at pictures, but it was only 4pm, so a bit early to start drinking. The first section of museum had a lot of Egyptian artifacts. This will provide lots of useful visual information for my creation of the great hidden pyramid myth in Wuppertal.

There were a lot of classical painting in the museum. I enjoyed these more than normal, because only a few of them were focused on religion. The pictures were almost lik

The translation of the web site says.

The basis of the collection as well as their main priorities were already in the 17 Century laid: the Venetian painting of the 16th Century (Titian, Veronese, Tintoretto), the Flemish paintings of the 17th Century (Peter Paul Rubens, Anthony van Dyck), Early Netherlandish Painting (Jan van Eyck, Rogier van der Weyden), and the old German painting (Albrecht Dürer, Lucas Cranach). Other highlights of the Art Gallery today, include the unique collection of paintings by Pieter Bruegel the Elder. as well as masterpieces by Vermeer, Rembrandt, Raphael, Caravaggio, Velázquez and the Italian Baroque painting.
I didn't see any pictures by Caravaggio, but there were many pictures by people influenced by him. I didn't see any pictures by Dürer, but it was so close to the closing time.