Tuesday, January 11, 2011

Radio plays about Narnia

The BBC iplayer recently had a number of adaptations of the Narnia tales of CS Lewis. When I was a child, I really enjoyed "The Lion Witch and the Wardrobe". I wasn't a total freak, because I didn't \read more than the first book. As I got older I realized (or read somewhere in a fashionable left wing newspaper) that the novels were based on Christianity, set in some weird pagan world where some of the animals can talk. I also read some CS Lewis novel that was not a children's book. I remember some guy was very happy to join some inner sanctum at a college or University. This was also some nasty Christianity propaganda in the mix.

I really enjoyed the radio plays about Narnia, although I felt very guilty about liking them, because of my high minded political beliefs. I thought the play for "the last battle" was a thinly veiled attack on the Church of England - not a bad thing. Anyway, what do I like about the Narnia novels? The swords of course! I am a sucker for a sharp blade.

I stupidly missed the radio play for one of the books: "The Magician's Nephew (1955)" It is not important, but I will not be happy until I have completed the series.