Sunday, October 15, 2006

folk

I just happened to walk into fopps in the glorious West End of Glasgow, when I saw a cheap CD by Christy Moore. I used to listen to Chrisrty Moore a lot when I lived in Edinburgh, maybe 15 years ago. A couple of years ago he was playing a festival in Dublin, and I really wanted to see him play, but there were some problems and the show got cancelled. The CD is great, so I am going to have to go back and buy the other two cheap CDs. Christy Moore is an Irish folk singer whose voice makes me feel relaxed. Talking of folk, I was watching some TV program about the folk movement in the UK. It was a history of the folk revival in the UK. (This was when folk was hip before Dylan went electric in the late 60s). One band called pentagle was called Ewan MacColl's worst nightmare, because they were folk without the political edge. As much as I love Ewan Macoll, I am going to have to listen to some pentangle. In some sense getting old means getting less political and wacking someone around the head when you seen them reading a copy of the economist. Part of the problem is that I feel honour bound to listen to the "freakzone" on radio 6 every sunday. Amongst other things Stuart is trying to build support for people like Vashti Bunyan, Davy Graham, and Bert Jansch. Does he think I am made of money? On the TV program, I actually liked pentangle play. Sorry dead Ewan. When Stuart gets these old broken folk singer in to play, they can still can play.