Sunday, March 03, 2013

Joan of arc and the lack of historical accuracy in the Cohen song

I have to admit I don't know a lot about British history. I know that 1066 is an important date for some reason and some guy called Henry had eight wives

I have been watching  Chivalry and Betrayal: The Hundred Years War on the Iplayer.
This was a history of the various conflicts between France and England. I of course knew who Joan of Arc was. What I didn't know was that she was burnt by the English in a war between France and
England. I have listened to the song by Leonard Cohen about Joan of Arc, but it never mentions who burnt her.

You can see why Michael Grove wants us to learn more about British history. We need history to teach us what evil people the kings and queens of England are capable of. We can rejoice that we have democracy now and the NHS and so on.