Thursday, August 14, 2008

Altered Carbon

While I was in Istanbul I felt I should be doing tourist things all the time, such as going rounds things. Some what guiltily I did spend some reading "Altered Carbon" by Richard Morgan. This was a science fiction book, where the hero is downloaded into a new body on an Earth in the future. There are shooting, more bodies, and an a hotel owned by an AI. There was a nice park (called Gillhane park) near my hotel that was good for reading in. There were lots of seats and no one bothered me. Sometimes people would come round and sell cheap cups of tea. When I looked at Richard Morgan's web page I found out that he lives in Glasgow. He had his first job in Istanbul teaching English. So in a way I wasn't just reading a science fiction book, but I was really learning about Istanbul. Guilt is a terrible thing.