Saturday, August 23, 2008

watchmen

I had planned to do some work today, but I actually spent the day reading "watchmen" by by Alan Moore and Dave Gibbons. This one of the most famous graphics novels. It always gets mentioned, whenever there is a film adaptation of other graphic novels. A film of the book was meant to be released next year, but it looks as though there are some legal problems. At a superficial level the book is about "super heros". You can read the wikepedia article to get some idea of the complexity of the plot. I liked the many levels in the book. I was amused to see that one of the characters was looking for evidence for gluino. The science super hero (and the only one with any powers), called Doctor Manhattan comes across as emotionally cold and more interested in quarks than people (very good). After reading this novel I am now convinced that graphic novels are a new art form. I am not ashamed to tell people this.