Thursday, September 13, 2012

Dangerous Liaisons

What should a peson read while they are on holiday in a decadent resort, such as Ibiza. I naturaly choose to read Les Liaisons Dangereuses by
Pierre Choderlos de Laclos.




Two aristrochrats play games with peoples lives and seduce anything that moves. The novel is written as a series of letters, where plots are designed. They care nothing foir anyone, but are only scheming for their own sexual pleasure. A number of people´s lifes are destroyed.

When I was a student in Edinburgh I listened to a radio adaption of the book- Unfortunately I missed the seond to last episode, because there was interference. I was never very clear as to the moral message of the book, because I missed important information. One of the characters lost here eye at thew end of the book and it wasn´t very clear as to whether it was the good or evil woman. I have not tried seducing anyone, because I didn´t kow the fate of the good woman. In fact it was the bad woman who survived and the good women who died. The evil woman was in disgrace, but she still lived.