Sunday, December 30, 2012

Dr Adder

I have just finished reading Dr Adder by K.W. Jeter. This was a pretty crazy novel. It was written in 1972, but finally published in 1984. Even support from science fiction stars such as Philip K. Dick couldn't get it published. It was a pretty crazy novel. much influenced by the counter culture, even to the extent of the hippie distrust of the revolutionaries.

There were drugs, insane aliens, amputees, artificial intelligence, and father to son angst.  There was a fair bit of sex in sewers too. See this review.

I started reading the book when I was travelling, so I found the first part of the book confusing. However, it made more sense when I read it in my flat. At one point in the book Dr Adder has a killing hand added to his body, but he never actually uses the hand to go on a killing spree, as I expected.