Friday, February 01, 2013

The Brothers Karamazov

While at work I listened to  radio adaptation of The Brothers Karamazov by Dostoyevsky. I stopped listening about 5 hours again, but I am not sure I have fully recovered yet.

In the past I have read a number of books by Dostoyevsky such as Crime and Punishment, the Devils, notes from the underground, the idiot. All very passionate stuff, but very long books. I particularly liked the devils, which was very boring for the first 80 pages, but ended with the town in flames and most of the characters were dead.

While in Russia I read "House of the Dead", but the person who was guiding me around Moscow was not impressed.

I do own a physical copy of the The Brothers Karamazov. It is a big book, so I was happy to listen to a shortened version. There was madness, passion, religion, violence, and of course Russia.

The devil is an atheist, well who would have known it.