Sunday, March 18, 2012

Belgium beer

I got the train from Wuppertal to Bruges on Friday. The train to Brussels from Koln was late, so I got into Bruges train station 20:00. However, most of the shops in the station were closed. This was a bit of a bummer, because I needed something to eat. My hotel was close to the train station.

After I checked in, I found a little shiny modern bar. I knew most of the Belgium beers on offer. I started with a Duvel beer. Duvel beer always reminds me of Liverpool, because I used to drink that beer  after going to the Odeon cinema.  I like beer, but experience has told me drinking more than 2 beers with 9% alcohol content is not a good idea. So after a small glass of Leffe, I decided to be a real slob and go for a Stella. 

I have drunk a lot of Stella beer in the UK, but it doesn't have a good reputation among the real ale crowd, apart from its ability to get you pissed. The beer was poured into a small glass and the head was removed with a knife in  a European manner. (Actually the served dropped the glass when it was half full).

After my 3 beers I got a chocolate bar from the vending machine -- and that was dinner.

Now that I think abut it, I hardly ever see Belgium beer in Germany.