Sunday, April 29, 2012

Spring time for Dracula

Today it was just warm enough to sit on my balcony and read. I have so much work to do, but I have been so stressed and burnt out recently, that today my body went "no work", and I gave myself to the joys of my kindle. Actually the leaves are starting to finally appear on the trees, so the view will slowly improve from the flat. I feel as though the forest ordered me to be lazy today.




Now that the warm weather is here (for perhaps a day only), now is the time to read a novel about
Vampires.
The book I choose to finish was: Anno Dracula by Kim Newman. This was an alternative "history" novel where Dracula had defeated Van Helsing and the count had gone on to marry Queen Victoria.
The main plot is the hunt for Jack the Ripper who is attacking vampire whores. There are other subplots and a hidden main plots. It was fun to read about a society where the vampires were taking over. The author had included a number of characters from other novels and real life. Before reading the book I had assumed that most people wanted to become vampires so that they could live forever, but the book showed me the error of my ways.

Kim Newman has some interesting things tp say about vampires and zombies in this guardian web chat.