Sunday, June 24, 2012

Zen and the Art of Motorcycle Maintenance on the radio

Today I listened to a great radio adaption of Zen and the Art of Motorcycle Maintenance from the BBC. I first met this book in a lecture theater in the physics department of Imperial college. Halfway through the lecture a student went to the front row of the lecture. He was carrying a flower and a copy of the book Zen and the Art of Motorcycle Maintenance. He stayed in the lecture maybe 5 minutes, before walking out. After reading the book, I am so happy he didn't ask any questions about quality or any other hippy shit, because I think it was a good lecture on classical mechanics.

I enjoyed reading the book, partly because it was about mental illness and redemption. It has a nice fusion of philosophy and "old time American values." . I read book maybe over 10 years ago. I wasn't sure I wanted to hear the radio play, but it was well done.

I was sorry to read on wikipedia that the guy's son was stabbed to death outside a Zen center in the US.